Study of the Cross Pt 2
1st Aspect of Death
Being dead to sin is a fact that takes place at conversion •
Rom. 6:6, 10-11, knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin; ... For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. 11 Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Death never means cessation of existence, but rather, separation.
• Die physically; your soul is separated from your body.
• In Christ, separated from the power of the old nature
• Separated from that which formerly had a stranglehold on me.
• I can choose to obey God rather than the lusts of the flesh. Idea of separation
• My old nature is not eradicated as long as I’m in this body.
• But its power over me has been broken by the cross, so that I can live separately from it. Jack up a car so that the drive wheels are off the ground and then stepped on the gas
• But the car isn’t going anywhere, because the wheels have been separated from the pavement.
• Our union with Christ, we have been separated from the power of sin, even though it still revs like crazy inside of us.
2nd Aspect of Death
Something I must do, not something that is already done by union with Christ
Colossians 3:1-5 If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. 2 Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. 3 For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory. 5 Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. • take radical action to separate ourselves from temptations
• Denying ourselves in obedience to God starts at the thought level If you as a believer in Christ are continually defeated by sin, • Need to enter in a deeper way into the meaning of His death on the cross
• Which separates you from the power of sin Power of Sin Requires Ongoing Care From Our Shepherd Jesus, the Good Shepherd, watches over the souls of His sheep. FACT: Jesus is watching everything you think, say, and do - are you uncomfortable or comforted?
• If you’re seeking to live to righteousness,
• If your focus is on the cross where the Good Shepherd laid down His life for you o Then it ought to be a comforting thought, that He is keeping watch over your soul.
• If we seek to follow Him, we can know that He will feed, lead, and guard us as our Shepherd and Overseer. We don’t turn to Christ because of our intelligence or strong will power.
• If we turn, it’s because God graciously turned us
• And yet, at the same time, we are responsible to turn from sin to God o It involves, turning from the self-willed life that seeks our own way (“straying like sheep”) to a life yielded to the shepherding and oversight of Jesus Christ Make no mistake: True conversion is not just intellectual assent to the truth of the gospel. Saving faith always involves an exchange of masters, from self to Jesus Christ.
The Power of the Cross:delivery from the penalty of sin
The Power of the Cross: delivery from the power of sin
The Power of the Cross: delivery of Identity in Christ
3. YOU IN CHRIST, CHRIST IN YOU Galatians 2:20, I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me..
If you’re in Christ, and Christ is in you
• You are a new creation
• If you’re in Christ, so are all your circumstances – so are all your problems – all in Christ If you are becoming Christ-like, there has to be an absence of worry, fear, and depression Christ never displayed any of these To be in Christ and Christ in you, means to go thru situations exactly like He would because He is in you – with you and for you
• This is our identity
• We are learning to upgrade our faith, in Christ, learning to be Christ-like – thru situations
• This is how we have POWER over Sin Count it all joy
• If you are in Christ and He is in you, then the power to be happy never deserts you
• If we can’t be separated from the love of God, include not being separated from the joy, peace, delight, goodness, mercy, grace, power – this all belongs to us because we are in Christ and Christ is in us.
• Sooo, the joy of the Lord can be your strength at any time The cross gave you a divine advantage and brought you into being a citizen of the kingdom – if you chose
• You can have access to a higher dimension – if you chose Two races of humans:
• Pre-cross – living soul (visitation of the spirit of God)
• Post-cross – living spirit (habitation of the spirit of God) Are you living PRE-Cross or POST-Cross?